4 Ways to Support Military Family Businesses this Small Business Saturday
I’m sure by now you’ve heard of Small Business Saturday (SBS). It’s the Saturday after Thanksgiving, dedicated to shopping from and supporting small businesses across the country. This neat idea started in 2010 and has refocused attention onto family owned businesses and solopreneurs trying to make their way through the owning-your-own-business world. You can read more about it on the Shop Small website here.
There are so many ways that you can help support small businesses owned by military families! Here are my top four:
- Reach out to local business groups and see what military-family businesses they have.
- Attend fairs and local markets.
- Search online for businesses (Facebook groups are great for this).
- Review/refer services to friends.
Want to support military families but not sure where to look?
There are resources out there where you can search and shop directly from military connected families. And if you ARE a military spouse, veteran, reserve business, you can list YOUR business with them. And most are FREE!
I’ve compiled a list of some AWESOME directories where you can search and shop from the military community!
- Have y’all heard of The Rosie Network before? If you want to take your small business support a step further, consider searching local businesses here. Their directory is all spouse, veteran and reserve owned businesses! How awesome is that!?
- The Military Biz Connection is another great resource to look up military-owned businesses. If you have a small business, consider joining the list. It’s completely FREE! You can also connect through their Facebook business page .
- Oak Tree Network (referral link) connects local military spouses to outsource each other for location-specific service needs.
- Homefront Handmade is a resource to find any and all types of handcrafted products created by veterans and their family members.
- The Official MilSpouse Creative group is a support group for military spouse entrepreneurs and includes a collaboration list in their files where you can search for services and list your own!
So what are you waiting for? Get those Christmas lists written and start shopping!!
Do you know about other places/resources to search and shop military family run businesses? Share below so we can update our list!
About the blogger
Melissa Rogers is a professional organizer and USAF military spouse whose organizational skills were put to the test, right after graduation, as an elementary school teacher. The management of the classroom depended solely on the systems Melissa created and her ability to teach those systems to others. As a military spouse, she developed her own unique brand of systematic organizing to accommodate moving four times in three different cities, over six years. Melissa’s passion for teaching her organizational tips and tricks inspired her home business, Modified by Melissa.